- We're hitting the road and touring the best architecture and design in the U S of A.
Embassy Row along Massachusetts Avenue NW is one of the great architectural and cultural treats of Washington DC. Newly constructed embassies mingle with the brick colonials that give the city so much of its charm, but occasionally a nation will elect to built its American home in the modern style, making a bold statement about its values, aesthetics and intentions. Stroll Embassy Row as you never have before as Dwell editor Aaron Britt illuminates some of the city's modern marvels. Spend your Friday morning, May 22nd learning about Washington's modern architectural history and taking a rare peek inside some the best architecture the world has to offer. We will begin the tour at Dupont Circle at 10:00 am and end the tour at 2:00 pm with a no-host lunch at Amy’s Pizza on Macomb Street NW. Wear comfortable shoes for this 3 mile walk.
Stops along the way include rare peeks inside the Danish Embassy and Residence, the Finnish Embassy, and the Swiss Embassy Residence. We'll also wander past the English, Italian, Belgian and Brazilian Embassies, as well as other uniquely Washingtonian architectural treats.
Learn more about Dwell Conversations: Designing Diplomacy with Dwell editor Aaron Britt on Thursday, May 21.
- In light of the government shutdown there has been a lot of negativity swirling around Washington DC.
- Certainly you could opt for a postcard of your favorite city’s key landmarks, but that doesn’t tell you all that much about the city’s culture does it?
- From over 170 entries, 17 finalists—from Thin Flats, an eight-unit green residential infil project in Philadelphia, to the Vancouver Convention Centre West, which opened for the 2010 Olympics…
- Take a photographic trek through cities like Melbourne, Australia; Istanbul, Turkey; Mumbai, India; Oslo, Norway; and more, in our anthology of must-stop destinations for the design-savvy traveler.
This exhibition is a tribute to Saarinen’s short and brilliant career which was bookended in the Nation’s capital with two iconic buildings: the Smithsonian Gallery of Art, a museum of modern art on the Mall which remained unbuilt and the nation’s first jet airport, Dulles International Airport which was completed one year after his death.
The exhibition is open for public with free admission!
- Edgeless School: Design for Learning is an exhibition currently on view at the Center for Architecture.