A Look Inside V&A Pattern
London's Victoria and Albert Museum has opened up its extensive archives and published the fantastic V&A Pattern volumes. The first four hardcover editions in the series are William Morris, Indian Florals, Digital Pioneers, and The Fifties, and page after page feature prints, patterns, and color combinations. It's an amazing set and resource, as each has a disc with every image in high resolution for use in your own projects and decorative endeavors. Purchase the books individually or as a set at Amazon, and keep an eye out in June 2010 for the next additions to the series: Kiminis, Novelty Patterns, Secret Garden, and Owen Jones. We can't wait!
@current / @total
- Last year, the Victoria and Albert Museum dug into its archives of decorative textile patterns and published its first set of pattern books.
- The Dwell team sees scads of exhibits, pop-ups, and installations on our journeys both physical and digital, every week, from all over the globe.
Back in the 1950s and 1960s, there was no bigger name in fabric design than Alexander Girard, who beginning in 1952 held a twenty year tenure as director of design for Herman Miller's textile division. This pattern, recently reissued by Design Within Reach, is originally from 1954, but looks just as fresh today as it did then.
- Many a modern-design enthusiast can spot a Cesca side chair and say it was designed by Marcel Breuer. But, were it upholstered in Digit fabric, few could name the textile designer.
- A trio of design studios forms a distinctly American picture of modern design: Despite their regional differences, all three produce forward-thinking products and furniture made using time-tested…
From high-tech wovens to digitally printed performance fabric, these 21st-century upholstery options fuse past and present.
- Crate and Barrel's newest addition is a shop-in-shop at their SoHo location featuring products by Finnish textile and design house Marimekko.
- It’s been a rather momentous year for London as the city played host to the Olympic Games and celebrated the Queens diamond Jubilee.