We are quite excited to share a new book from Laurence King Publishing called DIY Furniture: A Step-by-Step Guide by Christopher Stuart of Luur Design. The real coup in this book, however, is not that it comes with a bunch of ideas for desks, and sofas, and chairs, but that they tell you how to make objects by established furniture designers. New York stars Rich Brilliant Willing make an appearance, as do Peter Marigold and Lindsey Adelman and Bec Brittain. The book is well laid out, useful, and inspiring, with projects that even a novice such as I am tempted to try. The furniture itself is on the inexpensive side, and best of all, nothing is made from milk crates. DIY Furniture is out this month and costs $25. Read on for an exclusive look at what's inside.
@current / @total
- German stylist and designer Peter Fehrentz presentes Made by Yourself, a step-by-step book comprising 48 do-it-yourself projects.
- When it comes to modern design, we can't all be award-winning, but we can all take on a little DIY now and then. Here, we present some of our favorite DIY supplies and projects from over the years.
This adorable stamp puts the age-old question to rest, "did you make these from scratch?" Skip the pre-made cookie aisle and pull out Grandma's famous sugar cookie recipe, because you were born to bake, baby.
- Sarah Pease (Rhode Island School of Design), T12 Light, 2011: The T12 light is a shining example of simple, premade materials deployed in an elegant fashion.
- DIY Furniture 2 offers instructions and inspiration for furniture making.
- Steeped in the past but firmly grounded in the present, the designs of Satyendra Pakhalé merge futuristic shapes with centuries-old crafting techniques.
- Beginning in the 1950s, photographers Bernd and Hilla Becher traveled Europe documenting the architecture of industry.
It's true, foldout road maps are on the way out. Clean out your glove box and put those old maps to use. Recycled road map corkboards are a quick DIY gift idea for the beloved traveler, geography buff, or your college road trip partner-in-crime.