Designs on Film by Cathy Whitlock
Newly released by Harper Collins, Designs on Film: A Century of Hollywod Art Direction is a compendium of images celebrating iconic interiors and architecture. Interior designer and historial Cathy Whitlock worked with the Art Directors Guild and sifted through decades of archival photographs to assemble this rare glimpse into the world of Hollywood art direction and set design. In this slideshow, she shares a few images from the book.
@current / @total
- Beginners, a new film by Mike Mills starring Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, and Melanie Laurent, takes place in the Los Angeles of Richard Neutra, Deco hotels, humble Spanish bungalows, and…
Furnished with Bauhaus chairs, tables, couches, and other furniture, this temporary lounge at MoMA accompanies the soon-to-close exhibition Bauhaus 1919-1933: Workshops for Modernity. There's a wide selection of books and catalogues to peruse, as well as screenings of documentary films that trace the history and development of the school, including Oskar Schlemmer’s Triadic Ballet (1927) and the film of the reconstructions of Schlemmer's Bauhaus Dances of the 1920s (1982/84).
Added bonus: On Thursdays from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m., visitors can play chess on a set designed by Bauhaus sculptor Joseph Hartwig.
- Matthew Hufft is the principal and founder of Hufft Projects and the fabrication stuido MAKE, both young Kansas City, Missouri, firms that we've been keeping an eye on here at Dwell.
- The San Francisco Chronicle boasts one of our nation's best architecture critics in John King.
- Cathy Leff takes to the road (and sidewalk) to lead us on an intrepid bicycle tour of Miami’s architectural and cultural wonders.
- Last week I had the pleasure of seeing Alonzo King's LINES Ballet's new production "Triangle of the Squinches" at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.
- London-based Russian graphic designer Sonya Dyakova is making us rethink the notion of judging a book by its cover.
- We asked some of our favorite bloggers what they see in the near future for interiors, graphic design, travel, and more.