And the Pursuit of Happiness
Not so long ago I had a chance to talk with illustrator Maira Kalman when she came to San Francisco for the launch of a retrospective of her work at the Contemporary Jewish Museum. Though we spoke a lot about her whole career, she told me about her year-long project documenting American democracy for the New York Times' website. That project, called And the Pursuit of Happiness, is now in book form from Penguin press and we've got a group of images from the book to share with you as well as a video of Kalman talking about her work and process in making And the Pursuit of Happiness.
@current / @total
- Last week painter and illustrator Maira Kalman was in San Francisco to kick off the Contemporary Jewish Museum's run of her new show Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (Of a Crazy World).
- I've long loved her New Yorker covers, and am still over the moon about the illustrated version of Strunk and White's classic The Elements of Style from 2005, so I leapt at the chance to meet…
This is the first museum survey of Maira Kalman’s narrative art. Working as an illustrator, author, and designer, Kalman is well known for her covers and drawings for The New Yorker, over a dozen books for children and adults, two celebrated illustrated blogs for The New York Times, and collaborations with leading designers and innovators.
This is the first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman. This exhibition features a selection spanning thirty years of original works on paper and design production, along with less widely seen aspects of Kalman's work in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance.
- Unrealized projects and incredible sketches from the master architect.
- If the presidential debates haven't satisfied your election appetite, the AIGA professional association for design offers a tantalizing next course.
- In the past few decades, overdevelopment throughout New England has erased some of the region's most inspired Modernist homes.
- Lincoln Center Inside Out is a new book chronicling Diller Scofidio + Renfro's renovation of the famed New York City venue.